About the Prime Minister’s Best Village Competition
The PMBVTC is an annual developmental programme with a competitive element. Its overall purpose is to discover and develop latent talent and traditions of all Village/Community Councils, Youth Groups, Women's Groups, Sporting and Cultural Organizations and other groups within communities in Trinidad and Tobago. This Programme was conceptualised to build cultural, environmental and sporting skills of people within the context of indigenous traditions.
Objectives of the Programme
The objectives of the Programme are to:
- Empower communities;
- Provide an opportunity for communities to be more conscious about their environment and participate in exercises that will enhance their surroundings and at the same time, develop a sense of self-worth;
- Encourage a sense of national pride, community spirit and community up-liftment through healthy competition and social interactions;
- Encourage the creativity of our peoples in their food and artistic talents;
- Encourage specifically the retention of the Folk Art and the up-liftment of the arts in general; and
- Identify, preserve and record our historical and environmental sites throughout Trinidad and Tobago.
To champion the integrated village concept in and among communities throughout Trinidad and Tobago
To partner with our communities, so as to identify and satisfy their needs through the provision of gender-sensitive, quality programmes and services, thereby achieving improvement in their standard of living whilst encouraging retention of their traditions.