Export Centres Company Limited (ECCL)
The Export Centre Programme was originally mandated to empower members of village communities and in particular, female heads of households, through the production of craft for the export market. In the period 2009 - 2010 there was a shift in organizational strategy with regard to trainee intake. The training programme was redesigned to focus outside of this original mandated group (single mothers who were head of their households), since this limited our capacity to effectively impact on craft development in Trinidad and Tobago.
This strategic change in the organization affected the operations of the training centres in the following ways:
- The training capacity of centres were increased from 225 to 1020 resulting in an increase in access to trainees for craft training
- The elimination of the system of engagement of tutors being permanent to an arrangement based on training contact hour.
- An expansion in the target groups for craft training
- The centres were converted from single craft training to a multi craft training units.
- The elimination of stipend payment to trainees in 2008
- Extended daily training period
ECCL will be the premier craft and enterprise Training and Trading institution in the Caribbean, creating marketing and retailing quality craft in the local and regional markets
ECCL is committed to:
Providing quality craft and Enterprise training in a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible manner, thereby creating craft entrepreneurs who will produce items for the local and export markets, thus promoting the revitalization of the craft industry in Trinidad and Tobago.
Centres are located throughout the country. However, the organization has undertaken training at facilities outside of ECCL’s centres and this has contributed 107 trainees to our training body.
- St Judes Home
- Goodwill Centre
- Princess Elizabeth Home
Category/Type of Craft Clusters:
- Metal craft - Wire Craft, Tin Craft, Pan Craft, Copper Craft, Metal Carving, Metal Work.
- Wood Craft - Wood Work, Wood Burning, Wood Carving, Bamboo Craft, Wood Craft - Natural Form, Marquetry, Intarsia.
- Coconut & Shell Craft - Coconut Craft, Coconut Shell Craft, Calabash Craft, Seed Craft, Shell Craft, Tessarea.
- Grass Craft - Teritte Craft, Vine Craft, Grass Craft, Banana & Leaf Craft, Cane Craft, Flower Craft, Straw Craft.
- Cloth Craft - Weaving, Knitting & Crochet, Embroidery, Soft Toys Making Craft, Upholstery, Leather Craft, Soft Furnishing, Linen & Drapery, Patchwork & Quilting, Recycled Fabric & Stump work Craft.
- Soil Craft - Ceramics, Pottery, Concrete, Stone Craft, Glass Craft, Papier Mache', Glass Painting, Glass Etching, Mosaic, Tiffany Glass, Engraving.
- Jewellery Craft - Natural Jewellery, Costume Jewellery, Gem Stone Jewellery, Metal Jewellery, Plastic Jewellery
- Sugar Craft - Cake Décor, Confectionary, Floristry Craft, Events Craft, Soap & Candles, Floral Arranging, Garde' Mange'
- Fabric Decoration - Tie Dye, Batik, Screen Printing, Hand Painting, Air Brushing, Surface Printing
How to apply:
To apply for any of our Craft Programmes please contact us at:
Export Centres Company Limited
72-73 Eastern Main Road
Phone: 674- 0476