Community Education Programme (CEP)
This program provides training in a variety of marketable skills geared towards home based production of goods and services and employment generation. The program includes training at both the basic and advanced levels. Duration of the Courses is as follows:
- Basic – 60 hours
- Advanced – 75 hours
- Skills enable trainees to engage in home – based production of goods and services.
- Reduce household expenditure.
- Allow for more effective use of scarce financial resources.
Self – employment
The programme targets both male and female, and is also open to non-nationals. Participants must be eighteen (18) years and above. The Skills training programme targets the adult population.
- Less Fortunate
- ‘At risk’
The programme is national in scope and is implemented in all eight (8) Counties in Trinidad.
- St. George West
- St. George East
- Victoria West
- Victoria East
- St. Patrick
- St. Andrews/St. David
Venues at which the Courses are conducted include:
- Community Centres
- Regional Complexes
- Civic Centres
Where a public venue cannot be located, special permission is acquired to use a private residence.
CATEGORIES OF THE TRAINER
- Graduates from Technical Institutions
- Experienced Tutors
- Professionals in the Field
- In the 2006 program 291 tutors were employed
REGISTRATION AND ORIENTATION
Advertisements are placed in the daily newspapers prior to the commencement of the training cycle. Registration forms are made available at the eight Community Development Offices throughout the country. In cases where the communities are remotely situated, an Officer would carry the forms to the communities for registration.
Applicants are required to:
- Complete registration form
- Produce identification (ID card, DP or Passport)
- Attend orientation exercise
Applications are processed and Classes commence within one month of advertisement.
Registration and participation are free of charge. However, participants are required to provide their own materials in most instances. Where the materials may be expensive (e.g. tiling, P.V.C. furniture construction, welding) the basic tools and materials are provided especially for demonstration.
AWARD OF CERTIFICATES
Certificates of completion are given to the participants based on:
- An attendance of at least 75% of the class sessions.
- An Evaluation of work completed during the Course.
- Trainee must be 18 years and above.